Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Browse Experiences and Pick the One You Like
Let’s say you’re in Barcelona and looking for a unique breakfast venue. Key in, Barcelona, and check Breakfast. The website will let you know how many breakfast opportunities there are. Select one. Go to Step 2.
Step 2: Book a Date or Contact the Host and Request a Date
There might be a scheduled event that has openings or you can request a date. Click on the type of breakfast (lunch or dinner) meal that appeals to you. You will receive an email confirming your reservation. Scheduled events extend a month or more in advance.
Step 3: Have an Unforgettable Experience!
You might be joining 2 people or 8 people for the selected meal. Great food and interesting guests – the perfect combo.
Important things to know:
1. Not all, but most of the hosts are verified. For EatWith, if you see a “EatWith verified” icon next to a host, it means that this host meets the EatWith standards of quality and safety and has been certified and recommended by EatWith. For Bookalokal, to be verified, this means someone from Bookalokal visits the host in their home, take pictures and sample their food. Bookalokal makes sure the venue is safe before giving them a “Verified” seal of approval.
2. Both websites offer testimonials about different hosts. Here’s a testimonial example from the EatWell website:
3. Suggest a date. If you have booked your trip to Paris months in advance and there isn’t an existing event, you can suggest a date. You will receive a confirmation within 24 hours if the date is available.
4. How about cooking lessons? Learn to cook from a local. Cooking classes in Paris? Voila! You will impress your friends with your new culinary skills.
Be a Host.
No better way to meet people from around the world and never leave your home than to host a dining experience. Show off those cooking skills your grandmother so lovingly taught you. Plus, you’ll be earning extra money at the same time. Surely, this is the best of all worlds.
How to become a host:
1. Create an account with either EatWith or Bookalokal (or both).
2. Complete the profile and begin scheduling dining experiences.
PayPal is the only payment vehicle at this time for Bookalokal, but they are working on expanding the options.
On that next trip to Washington D.C. or Budapest, Hungary, dine with a local and make your dining experience like none other.